HBA In Action For The Black Forest Fire
Dear HBA Members:
After rebuilding from last year’s unprecedented fire season, we find ourselves in an even more damaging season one year later with – our family, friends, neighbors, and pets/animals – once again needing our help because of another devastating fire. As an Association, our members have already been asking what the HBA is doing to help and “how can I help?” Your HBA Executive Committee met this afternoon to discuss strategies along two fronts – immediate response and long term rebuilding effort.
- HBA is currently at the El Paso County Disaster Assistance Center (DAC) at 1675 Garden of the Gods Road. Along with the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department, and many county agencies and other non-profits, we are there to meet with the fire families and offer assistance on rebuilding. If you would like to volunteer at the DAC, please email Marla Novak at the HBA. Her number is 719-592-1800, ext 14 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The hours of the DAC are 8am – 6pm for at least another week.
- For your convenience, the HBA will be acting as a food drop off point for Care and Share. Click here to see the most needed items.
- HBA Cares will be bringing back CARe Help to assist the fire families with their insurance questions strategies. CARe Help is a non-profit company that has helped thousands of families understand their insurance plans and how that relates to rebuilding their home.
- The HBA will be organizing and assisting with a series of meetings and expert panel discussions to inform the fire affected families and our members of the rebuilding process. As these are put together, you will be notified.
- Use Local Builder and Trade Campaign – A major priority will be to educate fire victims on the importance of using local trades and builders. Not only for the health of the local economy but for also their own protection. One way is to again send out our Repair, Revive, Rebuild mailing campaign to the fire families. If you would like to be part of this mailing, click here. More details will be explained on the link.
HBA at the Table For The Long Term
On the technical side, because this area involves so many different entities and services, we will play a supporting role and provide technical advice, with involvement from our members and leadership from our Executive Committee to move forward with the rebuilding of the Black Forest community. As you have questions about the rebuilding process, a great place for you to get involved and bring your issues and concerns is our standing committees: Code Review, Land Use and Utilities. Each of these Committees meets monthly (Code meets the third Tuesday of each month, Utilities meets the 3rd Thursday of each month, and Land Use meets the 4th Thursday of every month) all of these meetings take place at the HBA, and all begin at 7:30 AM. These Committees are a monthly roundtable discussion of home building codes and standards, land use, and utility issues and are a forum for our members to discuss relevant issues with members of the County engineering and development, the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department, the City of Colorado Springs, and a number of utility company representatives. Please keep these Committees in mind as a place to attend and have your questions answered about the rebuilding process.
Finally, we are offering a forum on our website for our members to connect with each other offering donations, resources and assistance for those who have been affected by these fires. Examples of assistance range from food, clothing, toiletries, to the availability of temporary housing for people recovering from the loss of their home.
Thank you for all you do for our industry and community.
President, JM Weston Homes
2013 HBA President